Wednesday, May 4 at 7:00 PM @ CGV Cinemas Theater 1
Resilience tells the story of Korean adoptee Brent Beesley’s reunification with his birth mother, Myungja, and the challenges they face forging a familial bond after so many years apart. The oft-silent voice in the adoption triad (birth family, Korean adoptee, adoptive family) is the birth mother, whose silence is reinforced by social pressure and internalized shame. Of course, everyone featured in Resilience is courageous beyond words. But, what makes Resilience particularly special is Myungja’s determination to step into the spotlight and give eloquent and passionate voice to the “other side” of adoption. If knowledge is power, then indeed, shining the light into this dark and obscured place of adoption – while challenging to watch – is ultimately empowering.
Following the screening…
- There will be a short 15-minute “Question and Answer” session with producer Jessica Windt. Jessica will shed light on the process of making Resilience and provide context for its remarkable story.
- Beginning at 9:00 PM, please come out for dinner and drinks at Beer Halle! Located just beneath the theater (no need to move your car!). Again, producer Jessica Windt will be on hand to answer any follow-up questions about the film and to share more about its genesis and production.
Theater Information & Parking:
Complimentary parking is available in the CGV Parking structure which can be accessed through the Manhattan Street entrance. Please plan on arriving early if you want to park for free. Otherwise there are paid lots and meters in the surrounding area.
Tickets can be purchased through AKA-SoCal directly or online, through the film festival. If you do plan on attending, we ask that you buy your tickets through AKA-SoCal. This is better for both you and AKA-SoCal. You get a reduced price ($10, instead of $12), in addition AKA is reimbursed for our initial outlay to the festival (we don’t want to have leftover tickets that we already paid for). You can purchase tickets through AKA-SoCal in one of two ways:
1. Pay directly by cash or by check made out to AKA-SoCal, with LA APFF in the “memo” line
2. Pay by credit card via Paypal
Whichever way you chose, we ask you contact Max Choi at email@example.com Please provide him with:
1. Your name
2. Your address
3. Your phone number
4. The number of tickets you want to purchase
5. Your preferred method of payment
6. Whether or not you plan on attending the dinner with Jessica Windt (producer) after the screening
The deadline for buying tickets through AKA-SoCal, at the reduced price, is: Monday, May 2nd. If AKA-SoCal runs out of reduced-price tickets before the deadline, we will let you know via our website. Please check it periodically for updates. We will then release the code for purchasing discounted tickets through the Film Festival’s website.
Time and again, this film has proved its significance and power; you don’t want to miss this amazing opportunity to watch it among a KAD community. We can’t wait to see you there!