What an amazing film and premier of akaDan’s Documentary and album release party! If you weren’t there you definitely missed out!
I heard from one individual, “This film was great, because even if you weren’t adopted you could relate. So many adoptee films are focused from the adoptee perspective, as an outsider it is hard to understand.” I also heard, “This film was a nice balance, it was funny, sad, and happy.” Personally for me the film really hit home. All those emotions and memories that I stashed away were resurfacing again as I watched the film. I know there were others that were feeling the same way as I could tell from the tears and the words exchanged after the film.
Great film! Must see!
AKA SoCal & Connect-A-Kid Annual Holiday Party!
Saturday, December 14th
3:30pm – 4:30pm (Bowling)
XLanes LA Bowling Alley
333 S. Alameda St. #300 Los Angeles, CA 90013
(plus shoe rental)
Connect-A-Kid will be hosting 2 hours of Karaoke
The Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs (KIHASA), a research institute for developing and shaping policy under the Prime Minister’s Office, is conducting a survey on overseas Korean adoptees. The purpose of this survey is to investigate the current status of overseas adult Korean adoptees in order to evaluate and better meet their post adoption service needs. This project is funded by the Ministry of Health and Welfare of the Republic of Korea.
This survey is open to all overseas Korean adoptees and adoptive parents. The questionnaire is in three types: one for adult Korean adoptees (aged 18 years or older), one for teenagers (aged 13~18) and one for Adoptive parents with child(ren) under 12. The survey will take approximately 20~30 minutes to complete.
As a token of appreciation, everyone who completes the survey will be entered in a raffle to win a round-trip plane ticket to Korea (worth 3,000 USD – the first prize for one person) or Korean drama DVDs (the second prize for 5 people). In addition, the two adoption organizations with the most participation are going to receive 500 USD, and the five adoption organizations with the second highest participation will receive Korean drama DVDs.
The online survey address is http://survey.hri87.com/z130093_ado
The survey is due on November 22, 2013.
*Please make sure to note your affiliation with AKA SoCal!*
The main findings of this survey will be published in English and Korean for the public to view. You will be able to check and download the survey report HERE
Thank you for taking the time to participate!
Additional details & Ticket Information HERE
Promo Code (50% discount on tix): AKADAN (all caps)
Friday, November 22
APPROVED FOR ADOPTION
Animated Documentary, Laurent Boileau/Jung Henin France, 2012 75 minutes In French with English subtitles
Synopsis: This remarkable animated documentary traces the upbringing of filmmaker Jung Henin, one of over 200,000 thousand Korean children adopted by Western families since the end of the Korean War. It is the story of a boy stranded between two cultures. Sepia-toned animated vignettes – some humorous and some poetic – track Jung from the day he first meets his new blond siblings, through elementary school, and into his teenage years, when his emerging sense of identity begins to create fissures at home and ignite the latent biases of his adoptive parents. The filmmaker tells his story using his own animation intercut with snippets of super-8 family footage and archival film. The result is an animated memoir like no other: clear-eyed and unflinching, humorous and wry, and above all, inspiring in the capacity of the human heart.
AKA SoCal is thrilled to be a Community Partner for this premiere screening in association with Rainbow World
Cheers to this year’s 40th Los Angeles Korean Festival!
Pre-festival Meet-up Location: Angela Monette’s place in Koreatown
*Please RSVP: address will be provided via email or fb private message.
Time: 1:00pm (meet-up at Angela’s) – 6:00pm
Feel free to call us to link up throughout the day at the festival (contact info. below)
Additional information about the festival can also be found HERE.
For those of you who were able to join us from Bakersfield, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, San Diego, and Seoul–we want to thank you all for taking the time out of your busy schedules to participate in the AKA-SoCal Quarterly Meeting! We also would like to thank The Madsen Family for their warm hospitality and so graciously opening up their house for us to meet. The weekend was filled with so much reflection, joy, bonding, and strength. We are all feeling very empowered by the synergy of our community and hope you are too!
Building upon this exciting weekend and meeting, AKA-SoCal hopes to continue to better serve and support the needs within SoCal and focus on strengthening our organizational and community capacity. Therefore, by focusing on the creation of a strategic plan, it will provide an invaluable blueprint for growth/revitalization. It is very important for us to take the time to evaluate where the organization is, determine where it wants to go and chart a course to get there. As we continue to move forward and develop a stronger foundation and framework we hope that you can understand and respect the need and reasons for spending our time & energy surrounding this.
- As mentioned above and discussed during the meeting, we believe that this year’s strategic development goals & plan will help create a stronger framework from which we can operate moving into the future.
- After a lot of thought & consideration, the organization has decided to hold off on a 2014 gathering and instead focus its energy on strengthening its internal structure/framework in order to to better support & serve a potential 2017 one. We hope that folks can understand and respect this decision based on our organizational capacity and hope that the goals of this year that we are working to achieve will help better support the future IKAA/AKASoCal gathering and ultimately broaden our capacity within the community. We welcome any questions or concerns about this and please feel free to contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Interested in getting more involved? We invite you to join us at our next Quarterly Meeting this Fall (date & location TBD–please stay tuned).
For those of you who are interested in upcoming events & news that are happening within the community we wanted to make sure to keep you posted and remind you about these community gems!
- Saturday, August 24, 11:30am – 1:30pm: Our Community Partner Connect-A-Kid launched their SoCal mentorship teams at a kickoff event with the Los Angeles Fire Department. Participants from San Diego, Santa Barbara, Orange County, and Los Angeles came together to join their respective Connect-A-Kid teams partaking in games and activities, and enjoying a Fire Boat Tour along the coast.
- There are San Diego mentees still hoping to be connected to mentors within the area! Please contact email@example.com if you are interested in becoming a mentor.
- Saturday August 31- and Sunday August 1: 626 Night Market
- Sunday, September 1, 1:10pm: Adoptee Day at the LA Dodgers Game (vs. the Padres!)
- AKA-SoCal will not be purchasing group tickets however if folks would like to coordinate this on their own we fully encourage and support these efforts! For more information & to purchase tickets click HERE.
Monday, September 2, 7pm – 9pm Koreans United for Equality (KUE) General Meeting
Interested in learning more about KUE? The general meeting is an opportunity for friends, family and straight allies to receive information and updates on KUE’s upcoming projects, events and news. It is important to note that KUE’s general meetings are open to everyone, regardless of race, creed or sexual orientation.
Location: APAIT 1730 W. Olympic Blvd. #300 (3rd Floor) LA 90015 (map)
- Thursday, September 26 – Sunday, September 29: Koreatown Festival
- Apply for Korean language classes at King Sejong Institute
- Fall classes run from 10.08.2013 – 12.10.2013, 7:00PM – 9:00PM (every Tuesday) $60 fee ($80 for advanced learners).
- Make a donation or become a MEMBER of AKA-SoCal. Your yearly $25 membership helps to support the organization & we deeply appreciate your support and/or donation!
Thank you again for all of your continued support & energy!